Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Political BS!


I love these bowls, and their colors.


We had a vote yesterday on whether to raise our property taxes 10%, because the school budget is losing $1.8 million dollars. Now I voted against the raise increase, simply because (1) I don't have kids, so why should I care what happens in the schools, (2) because I don't want to pay higher property taxes. But also I was on the fence a little, because our teachers don't make enough money, the schools up here I think are under the standard, and my father was a teacher. Anyways the levy passed, but barely. So higher property taxes we have. The problem is, that 55% of Fremont county voters voted this to pass, but won't give up a little pocket change so we can have beautiful flowers planted all over our city. We have a seasonal woman who lost her job last year, because the city couldn't afford the flowers and her wage. So they set up a donations account at a bank in town, which people could go donate to, but weren't, so they held a fundraiser to make up the rest. I'm not sure how that turned out. I know this woman personally as well. I don't understand, how it's okay for people to want to pay more taxes, but when it comes to actually helping someone stay employed and making our city more beautiful, their charity just doesn't seem to exist. What kind of crazy world do we live in when people would rather pay taxes then help someone in need? SIGH! The worst part of this whole thing is, that the increased taxes won't cover all the costs, so cuts will still be made and the schools/teachers/students will still suffer. I feel like it's all for not. And what about the lottery? A percentage of proceeds from lottery ticket sales are supposed to goto the schools, thats why we all voted way back when to have the lottery in Idaho. Evidently, not enough of the sales are going towards our schools. Why didn't they levy the lottery? You know they have a TON of money! OH WELL! Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da oh, la la la la life goes on!

1 comment:

  1. awesome bowls I am jealous. And about the taxes I don't like to think about it because it makes me angry. Have a great day:)

    ReplyDelete