Thursday, August 6, 2009




Today I'm just gonna blog about my experience "fleshing" my rabbit hides. I have 4 of them, but left one for Jade to do, just so he can see. It was harder than I thought it was going to be. Most of the "flesh" came off pretty easy, with a firm grip and some pulling, but there had to be some that just wouldn't come off, and that's where it got hard. So I have some little holes, and some not so little holes in my hides, which you don't want. Also the 2 white hides were WAY easier than the black one, and also they had thicker hides. I'm not sure if that's indicative of the white rabbit or not, but made the fleshing process much easier. So now I am to the point where the hides have to soak for 7 days. They almost sat that long on the first step because I just couldn't bring myself to do it. (LAZY and all that). Anyways I'm very excited already about the hides.
I am using 1c. aluminum sulphate 1c. non iodized salt and 2 gallons of room temp water. It seems that this recipe is good, although I have nothing else to compare it to. Anyways here are a few pictures.

2 comments:

  1. That is so cool! I need to blog about the deer hide David did. It is not all the way finished but I took pictures of the process so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go woman! This is a 'bug' I have not wanted to bite me! lol I look forward to seeing your hides all done. ♥

    ReplyDelete