Tuesday, June 9, 2009

I love my job!

So yesterday was like one of the slowest days this spring, which in the end, turned out to be a good thing. Being a cook, I very rarely get to meet many of the people that come and go at the lodge, but today was different. 3 men on motorcycles stopped in for a late lunch, as the weather had turned from bad to worse. I met Ian when he came to the front desk (I was googling for Jade) to ask for an ashtray. So as the fd clerk was busy, I went to fetch them. They needed help running the dish remote, and as I am well versed in that I went in to show them. Thats when I met Glenn. I stayed and chatted for a minute, smoked a canadian cigarette, then realized I was the only cook, and no one knew where I was. So the story is, these 3 men are on a bike ride, and it started in Canada. www.2009biketrip-ian.blogspot.com is their blog, and they have a map, and accounts of their journey. I didn't get to talk to Neil that much, as he was mostly missing in action.... Glenn, very soft spoken, does volunteer in West Africa, and had some really amazing stories. I had to admire him greatly for his sacrifice, and service to the people of that country, as I could never do something like that. Ian, my favorite (sorry guys) had some very funny stories, and made me laugh the whole time I talked to him. Sorry Neil, I don't really have much to say, except for you have great taste, and apparently hollow legs. These guys are the reason I LOVE to work in the tourism industry. Interesting, very kind, generous men. A step above, I think, and their families are very lucky indeed to have them. I wish them well on their journey home, and pray for their well being. I hope they have great weather, and even greater experiences.

Pictured from left to right: Ian, Neil, and Glenn

So, staying with tradition, one can never predict it's really fully summer, or even spring in the mountains. It did in fact snow 2 days ago, and has been raining it seems since. We received about and inch and a half and it stayed on the ground most of the day. It warmed up about 10 degrees later in the afternoon and the snow melted away, but still left us all cold. These are a couple pictures I took with my phone.


I hope my sister is having a really good time in Nauvoo, someday I will go. I love you all, and take care!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ann!!!! Thank you for your kind words! We made it home yesterday after 4 days of flat out distance riding. My back is sore but I'm happy to be home and sleeping in my own bed with a warm body beside me. We never made it to the Beartooth Highway... it was too cold and raining or snowing at the top. We travelled north to Bozeman and then east on I-90 and spent the next night in Hardin. Once we started travelling east, Glenn and I decided to keep the pace up and get home a day early... my loved one is very happy... she didn't sleep well for the two weeks I was gone. It was truly a pleasure meeting you and I hope to pass through your area another time soon. I still have so much to see.
    Until another time,
    Ian

    ReplyDelete